A Light Saturday BrunchPosted: July 23, 2011
This is one of my favorite, easiest to make snacks. It’s light and healthy but satisfying as hell. I usually reserve this special treat for weekend brunches with the Mrs. (especially after an intense morning work-out), but there’s no reason it can’t be a snack in between meals either.
I was first introduced to this recipe by Ellie Krierger of The Food Network. Check out her book – The Food You Crave: Luscious Recipes for a Healthy Life.
Serving Size (2 open-faced sandwiches)
Estimated time: 10 minutes
- smoked salmon
- 2 slices dark wheat bread
- 2 tablespoons light cream cheese (I like the kind with chives)
- 1/2 small cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1/4 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tomato (gutted and chopped)
- 2 tablespoons chives or green onion
- salt, pepper for taste
*green highlight denotes ingredients you will likely need to buy fresh while black text includes ingredients you should either have stocked in your pantry or ingredients that have a lengthy shelf life.
- spread cream cheese generously onto each slice of bread
- place salmon on top of the spreaded slices of bread
- layer onions and cucumbers on top of salmon
- in a small bowl, mix chopped tomatoes and chives with salt and pepper. add mixture to the top of the sandwiches
- slice diagonally and serve